Re: Problem with the setup process

Raj M wrote:

>I am a newbee to the linux system.
>
>In order to have debian as my OS, I downlaoded from
>the debain website, the stable 3.1 version. I
>completed the installation as per the debian setup.
>Now after rebooting and entering the login and pwd
>information, I get the following information.
>
>"Debian GNU/Linux comes with absolutely no warranty,
>to the extent permitted by applicable law.
>Home@debian: ~$"
>
>I am stuck after this message. What should I do next?
>I couldn't find any tips/direction in the Debian book
>that I have with me.

Debian is composed of layers:

upper levels   X applications/console apps on top of X
                        console applications/X server (GUI)
                        base OS/console
                        kernel
lower levels    hardware

You've got the hardware working; you've got the kernel running; and
you've got the base OS installed. Now you can run console applications
(such as nano or mutt or aptitude).

If you want graphical goodness, like what you're used to in
Windows/Macintosh, you'll need to install/start X. If it's already
installed, you can start it with the command "startx". If that reports
"command not found", you'll need to install X. The command "aptitude
install x-window-system kde" (as root), followed by "startx" (not as
root!!!) (or a reboot, or "/etc/init.d/kdm start" (as root)) should get
you going.

--
Kent