kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7, and parallel port printing

Hi.

I installed kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7 on my Sarge box one or two weeks
 ago[0], and everything seemed fine. Until today I wanted to use the
 printer[1], and try as I might, I could only get garbage out.
 I couldn't even print via echo >/dev/lp0.

After fiddling around, purging&reinstalling cupsys and supporting
 packages, un-&loading lp, parport, parport_pc, and going through much
 paper, I remembered the kernel upgrade, rebooted into 2.4.27-2-k7, and
 now printing works again.

Any hints on what hoops I have to jump through to get printing to
 cooperate again with 2.6.8-2-k7 very much appreciated? google and
 linuxprinting.org aren't much help in that regard (at least not that
 I could find).

0: for the sole reason of having /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
1: HP Laserjet 4L, cupsys 1.1.23-10, LJET4.PPD, lp0

cheers,
&rw
--
-- [...] ein gut konfigurierter Windows-Rechner, an dem niemand
-- herumspielt, laeuft auch ueber mehrere Tage stabil.