Re: best way to use a package from unstable in stable...

Properly setup your /etc/apt/preferences file to include JUST that
package from unstable.

When Sarge was in testing I wanted to use the firestarter package from
unstable.  This was my /etc/apt/preferences file for using all
packages from testing, and the single package from unstable:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: firestarter
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1100

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -10

I read about how to do this in the reference documentation at
debian.org.  I don't recall which document exactly, it's been a while.

Ben