German keyboard layout messed up after upgrade to sarge

I have been using a German 105-key layout under woody
for a while.

However, I find under Gnome and KDE that the ALT-GR
key no longer has any effect (which means among other
things that I cannot type a '@' character), and that
my ü, ö and ä keys now produce |, v and d,
respectively.

Strangely, the ü ö and ä work correctly in Firefox but
not in xterm.  ALT-GR does not work anywhere.  Via
plain tty login (ALT-F1 etc) all keys work entirely
correctly.

Gnome and KDE report that I am using a German layout
by default, as before.

Anyone have any idea what's happened here?

Thanks,