Help connecting to Win98 Shares from Samba (Called name not present)

I need help connecting to a share on a WINDOWS 98 machine using smbmount. I've tried a number of things and still get a "Called name not present" error. I'm using a Sarge installation, but also tried connecting to this machine from a Fedora machine, both machines get the same error. However, on a windows XP machine, I can connect no problem.

Here is an output from smbclient:

insaneboi@squid:~$ smbclient //win98machine.nmu.edu/share -I 192.168.0.6 -U username%passwd
session request to WIN98MACHINE.NMU.EDU failed (Called name not present)
session request to WIN98MACHINE failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
insaneboi@squid:~$

I've tried a multitude of combinations of commands, ranging from smbclient -L server, smbclient -L //ipaddr, smbclient -L //server.nmu.edu, smbmount //ip/share, smbmount //server/share, smbmount //server.nmu.edu/share, etc

Everything I try results in the same "Called name not present" error. I can connect to other linux samba servers and win2k servers without a hitch from this machine.

Any help would be appreciated, as the professor is stubborn about keeping this antiquated windows box (even though we are in the CS department and frequently use Linux as an OS of choice for departmental machines!) I REALLY DON'T WANT to have to blow away a partition and install windowsxp on my laptop.

Thanks