Re: Best strategy for multiple terminals connected to one server

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 08:40:43AM -0400, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> I plan to implement a system similar to a cybercafe, the basic being
> the following:
>
> <> A central server.
> <> Several end points with terminals, keyboards (no sound), with
>    access to programs running from the server, which output to the
>    terminals.
> <> The end points are connected to the central server by ...
>    (Suggestions are sought).
>
> Suggestions, pointers to howtos, implementations, etc, will be
> strongly appreciated.

It depends on what you want.

If you want X, you have three basic choices:

 - multiple video cards, USB keyboards and USB mice
   - provides excellent performance
   - can be used even for action games
   - limited number of heads per server (perhaps as many as 10)
 - connect X terminals via ethernet
   - minimal configuration
   - used X terms are cheap, new ones are expensive
   - performance is good for most tasks, not sufficient for 3D
     or some action games
   - number of X terms limited mostly by server performance
 - turn old PCs into X terms (see the Linux Terminal Server
   Project for details)

If you don't want X, you can install multiport serial cards and
virtually any PC can act as a terminal, or you can acquire used
or new serial terminals. This is the cheapest route, and number
of terminals is pretty much limited by server performance.

-dsr-