Re: What is the point of sudo?

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 06:58:37PM -0400, Michael Spang wrote:
> Ian wrote:
>
> >I know it provides a fake root environment for work, but why would you
> >want that?
> >

> No, sudo allows root privileges on a per-user, per-command, and per-host
> basis.

Yes -- but I would be careful when granting permissions with sudo. If
the user will run any program that is able to edit (or even overwrite)
files, then he'll be able to change /etc/passwd, or /etc/sudoers. If
he will install packages, he will be able to configure packages too,
possibly giving him more privileges than I'd want him to have... If
he is able to use a front-end to some application that is able to
edit files, then he's already root.
I think this has been said here before, but since the original poster
asked, and since I didn't see anyone mentioning this in the thread,
I thought it would be good to mention it.
Anyway -- it's a good idea to have sysadmins use sudo when you want
to know who exactly did what, as someone else posted.

J.