Re: Problem with Sarge, Etch, and Sid install on HP dv1240us

On 29 Aug 2005, at 1:22 PM, Philip Schwartz wrote:

Ok, I used a Ubuntu live cd and mounted the partition. I then removed the symbolic link for S36discover in /etc/rcS.d. Upon rebooting, I was still
unable to start the system. It frooze right after the detection of
i810_audio and USB.

Any suggestions??
[...]

Hi Philip,

What kernel are you trying to install? 2.4.x 2.6.x ?

Try disable usb ports from bios but, you can do it by adding a line to
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases, like;

alias ehci_hdc off

alias uhci_hdc off

Unplug all usb devices from computer, there won't be a problem during installation
because at the error message you sent:

<6>usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub

Which means discover finds something and tries to mount it as usbfs.

Hope this helps.

Ciao
Jonathan

PS (I got this info in a previous post, maybe you can mail jgonzalesc@yahoo.com and ask
him what steps he took exactly to work around this problem).