Re: What is the point of sudo?

Hendrik Boom wrote:

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 09:37:52PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 05:20:37PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
It's also easier to do root-type things while in X without having to log
into X as root or muck about with the Xauthority files.
Which running gdm I don't even know how to do: "sysadmin is not allowed to login here" or some such thing.
And for good reason.  Root should never be logged into a GUI.  There is
no good reason for this.

There are reasons to do system administration from a GUI, especially
if decent GUI applications exist for common tasks.

The trouble with doing so, I have heard, is there are features
in X that give a program that is talking to a window on an X screen
to place input in another window ... this apparently was originally
a feature whereby neat GUI things could easily be implemented,
but it the other window happens to be a root login, it's
a security nightmare.

I believe window managers may use this stuff.

By the way, I don't know about now, but 15 years ago, the window
manager didn't even have to be running on the same magine as either
your screen or any of your applications.

-- hendrik

Well, there are reasons to run specific administration tools within X, but the previous posts were referring to running all of X as root. This is frowned upon because X is huge and potentially buggy and because there is absolutely no benefit to running it as root. Whether X apps can hijack a root xterm I don't know, but I doubt this is the issue in question because superuser terminal sessions from within X are common while logged in as a regular user.

Michael Spang