Re: I messed up bootmisc.sh - now can't log in!

dwilliams1066@netscape.net wrote:

Michael Spang <mike@midgard.no-ip.org> wrote:

Alan Ianson wrote:

On Sat August 27 2005 06:38 pm, dwilliams1066@netscape.net wrote:

Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
On Sat August 27 2005 05:28 pm, dwilliams1066@netscape.net wrote:
I've tried booting off a cd-rom and mounting the disk, but I can't get
the disk to mount for some reason.  I'm willing to try pretty much
anything at this point.
My default grub menu list has a "recovery" option. If that option isn't
there for some reason edit your grub boot command line and try adding
"single" to the end. I've never tried it manually before but I have used
the recovery mode a few times and I think that's the only difference.
Ah, but there's the problem.  I can't log in to edit anything.  Is there
a way to make a menu come up?  (Am I missing something, besides a system
prompt of course  ;-)
At the grub menu, before the kernel boots. Hit a key to stop the default from booting and I believe if you press "e" you can edit the boot command. Just add "single" to the end and then boot that way. That will boot in recovery mode I think. I hope mysql isn't loading in that mode ;). If that doesn't work you may need to boot with a knopix or ubuntu disk and edit whatever needs editing that way.

Ha. If its running from the startup runlevel then you could always add init=/bin/bash to your command line. But why would you have MySQL in /etc/rcS.d/? Also, you don't need to type out 'single', just S will work fine.

HTH,
Michael Spang

It is running from the startup run level, but how do I add init=/bin/bash if I can't get a system prompt from the system?

To take another angle on this, I have booted the system under Knoppix, but
when I try to mount the disk, it says "/dev/sda1 NOT A BLOCK DEVICE".
Is there any way to get the system to cough up what it thinks the device name of the disk is?

Dave Williams

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Are you using LILO or GRUB? As another post said, with GRUB you will have a menu on boot with a list of options, pressing 'e' on the desired option will allow you to add to the command line. With LILO you have to press something else. If all else fails you can use Knoppix to remove the offending startup script.

HTH,
Michael Spang