How can I reply to the mailing list automatically in Gmail?

I've noticed in Gmail if I use the little reply box at the bottom, it replies to the person who last replied in that topic. So I have to retype the subject line exactly as it is, and add the Re: to it. I always mess it up. Is there a better way? I just don't like using mail clients, so am I doomed to Thunderbird or Kmail?

--
"If practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?"