Re: blind spot for java

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 03:37:54PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> Graham Smith <graham@crazysquirrel.com> writes:
>
> > I have a JDK installed in /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/ when I attempt to execute
> >
> > foo@bar$ /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin/java
> >
> > I get
> >
> > bash: /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin/java: No such file or directory
> >
> > which is quite plainly wrong as the file most certainly does exist and has
> > execution rights. I have another (very slightly older and 64-bit) version of
> > Java installed via java-package which works fine but I need to get this one
> > working.
>
> What happens when you do
>
>     strace -f /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin/java
>
> ?  That should show you which files it was looking for that don't
> exist.  Perhaps that output is elucidating.

Just in case someone reads this message out of context, the actual
problem turned out to be a missing library, and the strace *didn't*
reveal this.  It instead suggested that the file
/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin/java did not exist.  It appears that the
exec system call acces libraries internally, and the code that
generates the errer message is just made aware that a file wasn't
found, not which file, and it guesses that the missing file is the
obvious one.

The real information was found using the ldd command.

Perhaps it's worth making a wili entry for this problem, though
I find it hard to guess what page title to use so people with the
symptoms would actually find it.

It seems to me we need a database (perhaps a wili would do) of
problems indexed by symptom.

--hendrik