firefox-crash (1.0.4-2sarge2)

Greetings,
I just updated firefox yesterday and today it is giving me some problems. First it was seg faulting all over the place (eg when opening a new window or opening the extensions window). So I tried to uninstall all extensions (which I though might be the problem), but firefox kept crashing too much to do that. So I deleted my .mozilla profile directory, but now it wouldn't start at all. It gives the error:

Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client!

(firefox-bin:1615): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

So I killed Xwindows and still the same error. I removed mozilla-firefox (with --purge), re-installed and still the error. I tried rebooting and still no luck. Thunderbird (where I write this) and all other apps work fine.

This is with firefox 1.0.4-2sarge2

Any ideas are appreciated,
Brett