Re: DMA not working

Hi Lorenzo,

I'm using kernel 2.6.12.4 (vanilla), recompiled, on a Kubuntu, and when I try to enable DMA, I get this error:

 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

lspci | grep IDE
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801DBM (ICH4) Ultra ATA Storage Controller (rev 01)

I have the same controller (rev 03, however) and I never got DMA to work when PIIX was loaded as a module. Once I compiled it statically into my kernel (currently a custom 2.6.12 on a Debian Sid system) the problem vanished without further work and DMA was activated automatically when I booted into the new kernel.

I then tweaked my /etc/hdparm.conf a bit more (hdc is a dvd/cdrom):

/dev/hda {
        mult_sect_io = 16
        dma = on
        io32_support = 1
        interrupt_unmask = on
}

/dev/hdc {
        dma = on
        io32_support = 1
        interrupt_unmask = on
}

The main increase in speed, however, came from just turning on DMA. (3-4 times faster for 'hdparm -t /dev/hda')

I hope this helps.

Regards,
         Florian