Re: Newbie: How-to Disable onboard sound

On 8/24/05, Joachim Fahnenmüller <jfahnenmueller@web.de> wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 10:47:18PM -0400, Roger Creasy wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am trying to get ALSA to use an Ensonic 1371 sound card instead of
> > the onboard card. I cannot find a way to disable the onboard card in
> > the bios.
>
> Read your motherboard's manual. On mine, it is not done by BIOS setting, but by
> a jumper on the motherboard.
>
> > Also, I want to use Audacity, but get errors when it starts.
>
> Start audacity from the commandline and post the error messages displayed.
> Do other sound programs work?
>
> > any suggestions? If you need more info, let me know what you need and
> > how I can find it, and I will post it.
>
> HTH
> --
> Joachim Fahnenmüller

Thanks for the reply. I dropped trying to use the ens 1371. It doesn't
have a synth built in, and I want to set up Rosegarden later. I don't
want to deal with software synth when I do.

So, now I am trying to get the onboard sound to work with Audacity.
Here is the error I get when I start from the command line:

"There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.
You will not be able to play or record audio.

Error:Host error."

Let me know what else I can post that may help.

Thanks