Re: upgrade from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

Tong wrote:

Hi,
I want to upgrade my kernel from 2.4 to 2.6. Yeah, I know the simple
answer is install the 2.6 kernel and boot into it. But I'm thinking, it
might be more than that.
For me particularly, I use SCSI emulation for my CDs in kernel 2.4. (I
know I shouldn't but the ATAPI interface didn't work out of the box, and
I didn't know how to fix it, so I had to revert to SCSI emulation)

If I upgrade my kernel to 2.6, I think I have to tweak those CD modules
manually -- to use the ATAPI interface only. What is the right setting?
I've mess my module setting so much that I am afraid next change would be
the last hay to break my camel. Thanks for you help.
Another thing about kernel. Say I know a very cool kernel that has all
nice features built within, will just grab it and boot into it works in
Debian? I presume that lots of dependencies would be broken, wouldn't it?
What is the right way?
Thanks

tong

PS. The "very cool kernel" is precompiled Linux kernel 2.6.12.2 with
unionfs and squashfs modules included, and with alsa sound drivers and
madwifi drivers. http://www.linux-live.org/

SCSI emulation is nonexistent and unnecessary in 2.6. You can write CDs with cdrecord without trouble. You can also save a few command line options by tweaking /etc/default/cdrecord. My /etc/default/cdrecord follows; with it I need not specify anything about my writer.

#ident @(#)cdrecord.dfl 1.4 02/07/07 Copyr 1998 J. Schilling
#
# This file is /etc/default/cdrecord
# It contains defaults that are used if no command line option
# or environment is present.
#
# The default device, if not specified elswhere
#
CDR_DEVICE=dvdrw

#
# The default FIFO size if, not specified elswhere
#
CDR_FIFOSIZE=4m

dvdrom=         ATA:1,1,0 -1 -1 ""
dvdrw=          ATA:1,0,0 -1 -1 burnfree

HTH,
Michael Spang