Re: Installation problems

On (25/08/05 16:09), Ken Heard wrote:
> 	At this point, not being very knowledgeable about computers, I do
> 	not know what to do next.  If however I cannot get Sarge running reliably I
> will probably have to go back to Windows, with all the its problems.  I
> don't really want to do that, but right now I am desperate.

All the problems you describe are probably resolvable but it will take
some time and will necessitate climbing a fairly steep learning curve.

Posting all your problems simultaneously in one mail will probably
reduce the likelihood of people helping you, not because they don't want
to but because it takes a lot of wading through to get to the issues.
In future one problem (or family of packages) per email will probably
serve you better.

I would suggest that you download and burn a copy of kubuntu live CD
http://www.kubuntu.org/

Boot off that and see what settings you can pick up from there in terms
of XF86-Config4 etc.  Alternatively, in order to be able to get working
quickly, you could install kubuntu for now but leave a partition spare
to install sarge at your leisure.  That way you would kill two birds
with one stone; you'll have a working, Debian based, system and you'll
be able to copy various settings to your Debian install (with care). I
can't remember whether you need a different CD to install kubuntu, you
certainly do with ubuntu which is what kubuntu is based on (it has KDE
instead of Gnome)

I've posted some info on live CD's here:
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/desktop.html

Good luck ;)

Regards

Clive