RE: Apache Groups

-----Original Message-----
From: Gallagher Timothy-TIMOTHYG [mailto:TIMOTHYG@motorola.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:02 PM
To: Gallagher Timothy-TIMOTHYG; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Apache Groups

When you install apache using apt on Debian Sarg 3.1 what groups are
created??

Thanks
Timgerr

I have just installed a clean version of Sarge, took a look at the
default
groups and they are the same.  All I did was apt-get install apache2.
Can
someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Timgerr

Here is the before and after group members.

Begin Before:

root:x:0:
daemon:x:1:
bin:x:2:
sys:x:3:
adm:x:4:
tty:x:5:
disk:x:6:
lp:x:7:
mail:x:8:
uucp:x:10:
man:x:12:
proxy:x:13:
kmem:x:15:
dialout:x:20:timothyg
fax:x:21:
voice:x:22:
cdrom:x:24:timothyg,hal
floppy:x:25:timothyg,hal
tape:x:26:
sudo:x:27:
audio:x:29:timothyg
dip:x:30:
www-data:x:33:
backup:x:34:
operator:x:37:
list:x:38:
irc:x:39:
src:x:40:
gnats:x:41:
shadow:x:42:
utmp:x:43:
video:x:44:timothyg
sasl:x:45:
plugdev:x:46:timothyg
staff:x:50:
games:x:60:
users:x:100:
nogroup:x:65534:
crontab:x:101:
Debian-exim:x:102:
timothyg:x:1000:
messagebus:x:103:
dirmngr:x:104:
hal:x:105:
ssh:x:106:
camera:x:107:
scanner:x:108:
saned:x:109:
gdm:x:110:

End Before:

Begin After:

root:x:0:
daemon:x:1:
bin:x:2:
sys:x:3:
adm:x:4:
tty:x:5:
disk:x:6:
lp:x:7:
mail:x:8:
uucp:x:10:
man:x:12:
proxy:x:13:
kmem:x:15:
dialout:x:20:timothyg
fax:x:21:
voice:x:22:
cdrom:x:24:timothyg,hal
floppy:x:25:timothyg,hal
tape:x:26:
sudo:x:27:
audio:x:29:timothyg
dip:x:30:
www-data:x:33:
backup:x:34:
operator:x:37:
list:x:38:
irc:x:39:
src:x:40:
gnats:x:41:
shadow:x:42:
utmp:x:43:
video:x:44:timothyg
sasl:x:45:
plugdev:x:46:timothyg
staff:x:50:
games:x:60:
users:x:100:
nogroup:x:65534:
crontab:x:101:
Debian-exim:x:102:
timothyg:x:1000:
messagebus:x:103:
dirmngr:x:104:
hal:x:105:
ssh:x:106:
camera:x:107:
scanner:x:108:
saned:x:109:
gdm:x:110:

End After:

It does not add any groups that I am aware of.  I believe the apache
server is started by root and then is switched to the group "nogroup"
and the user "nobody."  A "top" or similar command will tell you what
users are running each process.

-Jason

TO THE LIST:
Sorry about top-posting in the earlier threads.  I guess I was the one
not paying attention...