Re: Services questions

* Kretzer, Jason R (Big Sandy) <jason.kretzer@kctcs.edu> wrote:
>    What services do I need to stop in order to get the following ports to
>    close?
>
>    rpcbind 111
>
>    auth 113
>
>    unknown 980?

You should specify which protocol you are talking about (TCP or UDP)?

[TU]DP/111 is the portmapper (/etc/init.d/portmap). I am not sure about
the others. TCP/113 should be identd (check your xinetd.conf or
inetd.conf). To be sure simply do a

# netstat -tulpn

It will show you, which processes are listening on the ports opened on
you system (both, UDP and TCP ports). With this information it should be
not that difficult to track down the corresponding services.

- sebastian