Does any 2.6 kernel distro work on old world Macs? Monitor stays dead on PB G3 3500/Kanga

I am trying to install any fairly recent Linux PPC distro on my Original G3
Powerbook (aka Kanga aka 3500). I have tried different Debian (and
Debian-based) distros but without any success. I am using BootX. The first
part of the installation works always well, but after the first reboot the
monitor gets pitchblack after the initial couple of textlines of the boot
sequences (after the message "arch:exit"). When an initrd on the hfs
partition is specified the boot process continues, but without any feedback
from the screen I cannot do much to fix the problem. The initial installer
seems to address the screen correctly, so it should be possible to do the
same for the installed system, but how. X is not absolutely necessary. The
few posts I could find (one report with Ubuntu) indicate that this is a
common issue of the Kanga. A more detailed description of my experiences is
here:

http://mnm.no-ip.com/blog/index.php?EID=225

--
Michael Jeltsch