Re: replacing failing system disk

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Shea Martin wrote:

> My hda is going south. I have a good (crosses fingers) disk as /dev/hdb
> right now.  My plan for migration is this:
>
> 1. fdisk /dev/hdb, and create similar partion scheme on hdb.
> 2. newfs all new partititions, mkswap on swap partition.
> 2. from knoppix, "cp -a" the contents of /dev/hda to /dev/hdb.

copying the contents off fo failing disk will only aggravate it
even more and there's no guarantee your data you copied off is
not corrupted

you should restore data from known good backups PRIOR to you
noticing the flacky disk

---

disks goes flacky because:
	- bad cables or bad cable twists and turns
	- disk running too hot, but you should alwways have a
	dedicated fan per 7200rpm disk
	- endless list of stuff to check

> 3. chroot to the / of hdb, and run grub.

that will break ...

you need to change menu.lst and grub.conf to be able to install
the new mbr into hdb
	- the device map and orders and syntax will be different
	with hda vs hdb vs both present etc..etc..

or as you say ( to do stuff and pray ):
	dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb count=1 bs=448

	power off ..

	than move hdb to where hda used to be and it should
	work as a replacement for hda

> 4. poweroff, pull hda, make hdb the new primary-master (aka hda).
> 5. boot and pray.

don't forget to donate 10% of your income to the gods ;-)

c ya
alvin