Re: printing to HP

I just subscribed yesterday to the mailing-list. This is my first time actually subcribing and replying to mailing-list. I hope This is how to reply to questions.

I have the same setup as you, Sarge with networked printer LaserJet 1300. My print server is Linksys WPS54GU2, and the printer is connected to the USB port. I will give you my configuration and hope that it will work for you.

Procedure:

1- Open your browser to the address http://localhost:631
2- Click "Do Administration Tasks"
3- Click "Add Printer"
4- Write anything for Name, Location, and Description. These will not effect the setup, I only wrote the name "LJet"
5- For the device choose "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" from the drop-down menu.
6- Write the URI like this "lpd://ip_of_print_server/port for me it is lpd://192.168.100.3/L2
7- Choose your printer's make from the list e.g. HP
8- Now, the problem I faced is in the Model choice. At the beginning (As a newb) I was going for the recommended by the setup wizard which is "HP LaserJet 1300 Foomatic/Postscript. However, for some reason this didn't work and I still don't know why. On the other hand, when I chose "HP LaserJet 1300 Foomatic.ljet4 (en)", everything went smooth and printed the TEST page flawlessly.

Now I'm printing from both my Windows XP laptop and from my Debian Desktop. Good Luck.

Frank Guthorel wrote:
Have you already checked, from the machine you installed cups on -
http://localhost:631?
This is a webinterface giving you some options you can set up -
concerning the printer in question.

Your printer should be available there as a printer in the list of
available printers.
You can also print a test page from that local webpage - showing whether
the problem is the Gnome interaction with your printer, or CUPS who is
misconfigured.

I had to adapt some things myself on localhost:631 there when installing
mine some while ago.

Also - I had to add /ipp after my network address of the network printer
when using ipp protocol:
http://10.0.2.13/ipp

Hope this helps ...

greetings
frank

disciple@exis.net wrote:

Hey everyone.  I'm running Sarge with a 2.4 kernel.  I installed cupsys.
I am trying to print to a networked printer that has Jetdirect 170x.  The
actual printer is an HP LaserJet 1300.

In Gnome, I went to Desktop Pref/System Tools/Printing, to install the
printer.  Everything seemed to work fine, but it still does not print.

The wizard gives me the following options:

1. Local or Networked printer (I choose Network Printer and then select HP
JetDirect.  For the Host, I'm putting in the IP addresss of the JetDirect
Box.
The PORT has a default value of 9100. I did not change this.

2. Manufacturer (I choose HP).  Model (I choose LaserJet).  Driver (It
defaults to "Standard (CUPS) (Suggested).  It's either CUPS or "Install
Driver".  I stick with (CUPS) (Suggested).

I then click "Apply".

Do I need to install a driver, and not use the CUPS?  If so, how do I
install the driver?

thanks for the help...