Re: Problems with software RAID on SATA

At 15:44 19/08/2005, you wrote:
Quoting Stephen Tait <tait@digitallaw.co.uk>:

As you can see, the only mention of md2 is the "md: md2 stopped" line, whereas of course I'd be expecting a "raid1: raid set md2 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors" message. Does anyone more au fait with kernel software RAID know why the kernel won't even attempt to start md2?

Just for fun, have you tried re-partitioning your disks to create a new array?
It looks like your were using the entire disks of sda and sdb?
Try making a raid 1 from something like sda2 and sdb2. Ignore the first partition. You may have to zero the superblock prior. I think your system is fine, if you can manually create an array, mount it and start using it. If its not happening on boot, then there's something little thats not making it initialize.
But who knows for sure.

Hope you get it working.

Cheers,
Mike

Interesting you should mention the superblock, since the reason md2 wasn't created during the install process was due to some error message I got about the superblock that wanted me to reboot in order to re-read the partition table, although I can't remember it exactly. And yes, sd[a|b]1 is a primary partition with the whole disc on it. I'll try chopping up the drives a bit more and give it another whirl... ho hum, only another 220mins to go until it re-syncs... again! Yeah, I've turned sd[a|b]1 into an as-yet unformatted 1024MB partition with the RAID array on sd[a|b]2 that comprises the rest of the drive.

Oh how I wish for another 3ware... :D

I've also just built a customised kernel with all of the relevant ATA and SCSI options compiled in rather than as modules; if either of these two approaches works I'll post details back to the list, if they don't work I'll cry :D

Thanks again for your help Mike!

Stephen Tait