Re: printing to HP

disciple@exis.net wrote:

Hey everyone. I'm running Sarge with a 2.4 kernel. I installed cupsys. I am trying to print to a networked printer that has Jetdirect 170x. The
actual printer is an HP LaserJet 1300.

In Gnome, I went to Desktop Pref/System Tools/Printing, to install the
printer.  Everything seemed to work fine, but it still does not print.

The wizard gives me the following options:

1. Local or Networked printer (I choose Network Printer and then select HP
JetDirect.  For the Host, I'm putting in the IP addresss of the JetDirect
Box.
The PORT has a default value of 9100. I did not change this.

2. Manufacturer (I choose HP).  Model (I choose LaserJet).  Driver (It
defaults to "Standard (CUPS) (Suggested).  It's either CUPS or "Install
Driver".  I stick with (CUPS) (Suggested).

I then click "Apply".

Do I need to install a driver, and not use the CUPS?  If so, how do I
install the driver?
Have you tried setting up and testing the printer from cups itself.

Browse to: http://localhost:631

There's a wee icon down the bottom lhs to add printers. Otherwise, if it is already set up there, you can play with the setup until ye get it working.

Joe