I NEED pg_config in unstable--how do I get it?

I am setting up a thread free Debian system. I am trying to install perl
modules that require pg_config to install from CPAN. I have found a reference
from Martin that it is available via experimental. I have tried to get the
newer postgresql installed from there but it requires an upgrade of libc6
(which is currently very buggy in unstable) is there a way to get it for the
older testing version of postgresql, or is it already there & not being set
up as a pg function. I have run a search of the entire system & pg_config is
not listed anywhere though I did find several other pg_xxxxx functions
listed. Any help is appreciated.
--
John Foster