viewing netwerkcamera DCS-2100+ output under Debian (Linux in general) ?

Hi,

I got a D-Link DCS-2100+ network camera some time ago, but my efforts to
view it's output somehow under Debian / Linux have been fruitless.

In the specs, it is very clearly specified that you need active-x
controls and Internet Explorer to view streaming video and the image
captured by the cam - but maybe somebody here can shed some light on
whether I should bury the hope of viewing it's output in Linux.

It's mainly the image I'm interested in, somehow.

Some tidbits I gathered so far :

* the cam uses H.263 compression (MPEG4) according to the specs and manual
* package helix-player has support for this codec
* http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Helix gives some information to
run this plugin in Mozilla ; the plugin was already installed by default
(files mentioned in the link were already present)

I'm fearing that using the cam output in a browser will be truly
optimistic - but I was wondering whether I could try to use the stream
immediately in something like helix-player ?

There is an option on the DCS-2100+ that let's you define a port on the
network cam - the Video Channel Port, default on :5003.

If somebody has any experience in this, or could point me to something
interesting on the web - that would be super.

Thanks already !

Frank

Frank Guthorel

T : 09/329.49.38 - G : 0495/105.776