Re: boot logging

John Hasler on 18/08/05 13:38, wrote:
Adam writes:
OK, so I did that now I'm still looking at the stop_bootlogd script in
/etc/init.d Shall I just get rid of it? I can't figure out why it's there.

stop_bootlogd is there to stop the bootlog daemon when booting is
complete.  Look at the links.

OK. I'm with you so far. Now that I seem to have boot logging working, where is the actual output? Checking in /var/log didn't reveal anything.

According to man, the default output is /var/log/boot but I don't have one.

From the bootlogd script, it seems that bootlogd is being started without any options, so the default log file should be where it goes.

Man does say intriguingly:

Bootlogd tries to parse the kernel command line, looking for console= lines and deducts the real console device from that. If that syntax is ever changed by the kernel, or a console-type is used bootlogd does not know about, bootlogd will not work.

Could that be what is happening?

Adam