Re: [workaround] make-kpkg: What gets included in the initrd image?

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:30:01PM +0100, Jan T. Kim wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I've created a set of kernel packages (-image, -source, -doc, -headers)
> by running
>
>     make-kpkg --append-to-version=-bleh --revision=01 --initrd --rootcmd=fakeroot
>
> in a linux-source-2.6.12 directory using a copy of
> /boot/config-2.6.12-1-686 (as .config). However, the contents of the
> initrd image in the package thus created differs from the one in
> linux-image-2.6.12-1-686; the /lib/modules/2.6.12-bleh directory does
> not include the modules
>
>     capability.ko
>     commoncap.ko
>     softcursor.ko
>     vesafb.ko
>
> The omission of vesafb.ko has caused me trouble because I use the kernel
> parameter "vga=0x0318", but without the module, the screen turns blank
> in the initial phase of booting...

For now, I've worked around the problem by compiling the VESA framebuffer
and the console framebuffer into the kernel (rather than as a module).

I'm still interested in the answer to my question, though:

> Can anyone point out to me how the modules included in the initrd are
> chosen by make-kpkg? I was assuming that by using the same .config and
> the same compiler, I would produce a functionally equivalent kernel
> package, but obviously, I've been naive here...

RTFM pointers are very welcome, of course.

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk@cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |