root partition (reiserfs) mounting read-only on boot

Hi,

Today the root file partition of another machine started booting up
read-only. I haven't made any kernel changes for more than two weeks,
and it have booted it up numerous times with the 2.6.11 kernel without a
single problem before today.

I get a message " mount: / not mounted already, or bad option " on boot
right after INIT 2.78 booting.

Then get numerous "read-only file system" errors on boot-up, and then
the system freezes for a very long time when finally, it unfreezes and
the boot continues limpingly, until I finally get a login prompt on the
console. As you probably surmise, I cannot bring up X, networking and
other services are also down, but at least I can run simple things from
the console.

The first thing I tryed was "df" and could see there was no free space
left on /. I booted "linux emergency", typed the root password and fsck
for any error on /dev/hb1 (reiserfs) which is the root filesystem. It
fixed 4 corruptions. Then I remounted / as rw with:

mount /dev/hdb1 / -treiserfs -oremount,rw

and deleted some cruft files on /var, /tmp and /home freeing a total of
150MB. Checked /etc/fstab and it was empty, I filled it manually with
proc, / and swap like this:

proc        /proc   proc       defaults                     0   0
/dev/hdb1   /       reiserfs   defaults,errors=remount-ro   0   1
/dev/hdb2   none    swap       sw                           0   0

Then typed 'exit' and the system did boot up with fewer errors, kdm and
other services were loaded but some didn't (like networking).

After reboot, / was still being mounted read-only (and so it is), with
the same boot error messages. The system is still as decribed above.
Googling around helped me a lot, but no luck. I cant manage to solve it.

Any hint?
--
 .''`.  Pablo Aguiar <pabloaguiar@brfree.com.br>
: :'  :  Proud Debian GNU/Linux Admin and User

                Wed, Aug 17 2005, 20:41:30 GMT - 0300