Re: Ownership of cdrom devices

On Thursday 18 August 2005 03:23 am, [KS] wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi
> I reinstalled Debian Unstable on my machine just a few weeks ago. Today
> I wanted to play an audio CD and the CD player program popped up (Gnome
> desktop, uses gnome-cd program) to play it. But there was no sound.
> Testing alsa player by playing an mp3 (from hard disk) showed no
> problems as the music played normally.
>
> I tried to eject the audio cd from the drive using the button on the cd
> player program and nothing happened. Ejecting from the commandline gave
> the following error:
>
> $ eject -v
> eject: using default device `cdrom'
> eject: device name is `cdrom'
> eject: expanded name is `/media/cdrom'
> eject: `/media/cdrom' is a link to `/media/cdrom0'
> eject: `/media/cdrom0' is not mounted
> eject: `/dev/hdc' can be mounted at `/media/cdrom0'
> eject: `/dev/hdc' is a multipartition device
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/hdc' using CD-ROM eject command
> eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/hdc' using SCSI commands
> eject: SCSI eject failed
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/hdc' using floppy eject command
> eject: floppy eject command failed
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/hdc' using tape offline command
> eject: tape offline command failed
> eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

Yep, looks like your mounted as root and it won't let the user to umount.

> On checking the ownership of the /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd (CD writer and
> DVD writer respectively), I got the following:
>
> $ ls -l /dev/hdc
> brw-rw----  1 root floppy 22, 0 2005-08-15 15:28 /dev/hdc
>
> $ ls -l /dev/hdd
> brw-rw----  1 root floppy 22, 64 2005-08-15 15:28 /dev/hdd
>
> Are the ownerships normal? I could not eject the audio cd as normal
> user, but there was no problem ejecting as root. I can't understand I as
> normal user couldn't do that as I am in the floppy group!

It is default for media to be mounted as root.  Try seeing if your user is
added to the 'cdrom' group (groups user_name).  If not, add each user that
you want to have access to the cdrom without having to mount root.

Alternativly, you can add 'user' to the options in /etc/fstab and reboot.

If this doesn't help, please let me know.

Steve