Re: apt-get upgrade - excessive list?

On 17 Aug 2005, at 21:03, Frank Gevaerts wrote:

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 08:41:34PM +0100, Yoav Felberbaum wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently trying to upgrade PHP4 on a production server that
hasn't been exactly maintained very well. However, if I do "apt-get -
u upgrade php4" , I get an humbungous list of stuff to update.

Doing an "apt-get -u dist-upgrade" is EVEN worse, with apt-get
claiming I need to "REMOVE" apache, and install "NEW" apache2,
something I can't really do on a production server on a whim.
Especially seeing as all I want to do is to upgrade PHP 4.2.1 to 4.4.0.

edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and replace "stable" with "woody". Then run
apt-get update again and apt-get upgrade again.
Once you are ready for upgrading to sarge (the new stable), replace
"woody" with "sarge", read the sarge release notes, and upgrade

Ah.

Previously /etc/apt/source.list was...
---
deb http://mirror.positive-internet.com/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb file:/root debs/
---

As you suggested, I switched with
---
deb http://mirror.positive-internet.com/debian woody main contrib non- free
deb file:/root debs/
---
and the apt-get list is now _far_ shorter.

----
# apt-get -u upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be upgraded
aptitude bzip2 cvs emacs21 lbxproxy libapache-mod-jk libbz2-1.0 libmm11 libperl5.6 libstdc++2.10 php4-dev php4-pear unzip xlibmesa3 14 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 19.8MB of archives. After unpacking 158kB will be used.
---