Re: Using CDs/DVDs to backup and dvdisaster

On Aug 16 2005, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:20:07 +0200, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > I recently discovered one excellent program already packaged for
> > Debian, called dvdisaster. I would recommend it to anybody interested
> > in seeing how (un)reliable your CDs/DVDs are.
>
> I looked at this program's web page, and it seems that it cannot tolerate
> errors in the checksum file, i.e. perfectly reliable media is required
> anyway. IMO, this is a showstopper.

Well, there is a limitation to the amount of data that can be recovered
with bad media, even if you put redundancy there.

And you can generate the error correcting data directly from the (iso) disk
image, if you're going to burn that to a CD/DVD. Then, you'll be fine in
the event of problems with the medium.

Regards,

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/