Re: Difference in naming of hard drive partitions

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 03:42:23PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On my Debian unstable machine, my /etc/fstab has entries of the form /dev/hdc3
> to mount partitions. Using the df command, these mounts are shown as /dev/hdc3
> etc On my Debian Sarge machine my /etc/fstab has similar entries, but when I
> issue the df command, I get mounts listed of the form
> /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part3 Desipte devices of the form /dev/hdc3
> existing. I have run devfsd on this machine in the past, although I no longer
> do. It appears that df is just outputing what it sees in /etc/mtab.  But why
> does /etc/mtab show these differences. Is there a missing package to install?
> Secondly, on BOTH machines I use lvm2.  On both machines mounted logical
> devices of the form /dev/vg/xxx show on the df output as /dev/mapper/vg-xxx Is
> there anyway of making this show in the way I expect (ie /dev/vg/xxx)? --
> Alan Chandler
> alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk

You have to setup udev to *not* use the devfs compatibility names.  If
you had previously run devfs, then udev did this to prevent breaking
your devfs-aware applications.  I had the same issue and simply had to
reconfigure udev and reboot the machine :-(.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto