Re: System backup/snapshot

On 16 Aug 2005, pavel.orehov@gmail.com wrote:

> I want for example perform some updates on the system that may be
> upgrading/changing of debian packages, some files or firebird database.
> If one of the update tasks failed i want be able to restore complete
> previous system before all updates occurs.
>
> Is there are general solutions for this?

daily:
   tar zcvf /opt/BACKUP.date.tgz `find /etc /home $TYPE -mtime -90 -print`

once a month, or however often you're paranoia tells you to do full
backups
   tar zcvf /opt/BACKUP.date.FULL.tgz `find /etc /home $TYPE  -print `

- where TYPE == ( -type f -o -type l )

- mount, sync, unmount before and after the find | tar
- grep out anything yoou do not want backed up, add anything else you want

c ya
alvin