Re: Crontab problems

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 09:25:50AM +0200, Phantazm wrote:
> I cant get user crontabs to work.
>
> cron is running
> crontab -l gives correct output.
> EVERYTHING looks fine. I've must have missed something.

Does the 'at' command work?  It does something similar and also uses
the cron daemon, as far as I know.  Just try something simple as the
following and see if you get any output on screen and get an email:

maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ echo ls | at now
warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
job 136 at 2005-08-16 10:24

Also, what does your /var/spool/cron/ directory look like?  Maybe some
permissions or owner/group settings have gone awry.  Here is the
output on my system:

maurits@mauritsvanrees:~$ ls -l /var/spool/cron/
totaal 0
drwx------  2 daemon daemon  72 2005-08-16 10:24 atjobs
drwx------  2 daemon daemon  48 2005-08-16 10:24 atspool
drwx-wx--T  2 root   crontab 96 2005-08-14 00:50 crontabs

As a small test I tried this in my crontab:
35 10 * * * hello_world
which obviously failed, but at least the crontab was executed and I
got an error message in the mail.

BTW, no cron problems on my system.  Here is my 7:30 alarm clock in
crontab. :)

30 7 * * * /usr/bin/ogg123 -q /music/Neal_Morse/One/08.Reunion.ogg

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse