Re: question about routing

You are trying to do a "double" NAT but it doesn't sound like you have NAT set up on your second network. For example: Anything on the 192.168.1.0 network is showing up on the internet as whatever IP address that your ISP assigned to you. As the traffic from say, 192.168.1.100 hits the router, its source address is changed automagically by your router to the external IP address. This is because the 192.168 address space is considered non-routable. Also, the 10.0.0.0 space is the same. So, a packet from the 10.0.0.0 network goes across the router to the 192.168.1.0 network it does not get translated and your border router just passes it through (because it is only setup to translate addresses from it's local subnet). Your packets reach their destination but the destination has no idea how to get back to you (since the10.0.0.0 network doesn't exist on the internet) and the packet is lost.

It is really late and I'm reading my explanation and thinking that it is probably more confusing than anything, but if you'd like more of an explanation feel free to email me offline and I'll do my best to give a better explanation.

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com

Danny Roelofs wrote:

Hi,
Almost a year i am working with linux, i almost can do anyting from setting up a mail server, rebuilding the kernel but i do lack a lot of knowledge about routing, and somehow i do think that its just to simple
but i dont see the light.
Anyhow, bought recently a server to experiment with and finaly i would colocated it, but at home.. i have
the current situation:
My server is connected to a router, serving out (dhcp) 10.0.0.100-150 but i configurated my server to be static at 10.0.0.110. works fine, from my laptop i can communicate inside my 10.0.0.1 (gateway)
network
But this network is connect to my other network192.168.1.1 (gateway). And this router is connect to my ISP.. so briefly: ISP <-> 192.168.1.1 <> 10.0.0.1 <> my server: 10.0.0.110 How do i configure debian to communicate to the outsided.. i tryed a lot, but i dont understead the routing that well.. Can someone give me a clue, or refering to a website?.. Thanks, Danny.