xterm and keypad

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm trying to use the
application functionality of the numeric keypad (arrows, home, end,
page up, page down, etc).
It appears that I'm in application mode, but there's no difference
between the arrows on the numpad and the regular arrows. when I use
page up and page down I get the tilde (~).

I'm accessing my shell (zsh) account via ssh (putty). Ultimately, I'd
like to be using screen, but my shell account defaults to xterm when I
echo $TERM.