Re: Standarts for building debian packages

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 10:56:33PM -0700, pavel.orehov@gmail.com wrote:
> I am going to build a lot of debian packages and i wanted to know if
> there are some standarts/templates/utilities for building debian
> packages. Or i should write all in my scripts for each case ?
>
> For example i need to perform the following tasks:
> 1) Build debian package from some source. It mean configure, compile,
> strict and package into *.deb.
There is a well defined way to do this.  Start by reading the Debian New
Maintainer guide.
> 2) Patch existing debian package.
See below.
> 3) Build development package containing only *.h files.
Development packages will also need to contain static archives to be
policy compliant.

Here is a good HOWTO specifically on packaging libraries:

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html

> Any references are welcome.

Here are two HOWTOs I wrote:

Debian package customization
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/?page=debcustomize

Building a Debian package repository
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/?page=debrepository

Building policy compliant packages is not a requirement unless you
intend to put them into Debian.  However, it is a good idea as it
ensures sane interaction between packages and is a good practice.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto