gphoto2 - permissions

Greetings,

Running debian testing (etch)

problem:
"gphoto2 -P" (download all pictures) works as root
"gphoto2 -P" won't work as regular user -- gives following error
*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could
not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no other program
or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and
you have read/write access to the device.
*** Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***

The x-apps gtkam and digikam won't work as either regular user or root. In
both cases they recognize the camera but I can't download the pictures.

I am a member of the "camera" group and gphoto -a works as both root and
regular user.

I feel that I either must put my user in another group as well as "camera" or
change the permissions on a usb device but I have no idea which one or what
its called.

Thanks in advance,
Roy Pluschke