Re: how to login automatically into Bash after booting?

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 16:54 +0800, phyrster wrote:
> Hi debianers,
>
> Is there a way to let bash automatically login a user after booting up?
>
> The sarge box is just for home use and there is no remote login or other
> remote control sort of things. For the convenience of a local user (non
> root), how to make bash login a user automatically?

<SOAPBOX>
My kindergarten kids can remember their usernames and (simple)
passwords, and have no problems logging in (at the console, I
might add).  Adults should be able to, too.

As for convenience...  Well, some things just shouldn't be brain-
dead convenient.  Discipline & use-of-brain is a Good Thing when
using computers.

If more Windows users were disciplined about computer use, there
would be a heck of a lot fewer problems with spyware, spam, etc.
</SOAPBOX>

(This wasn't meant to be offensive/rude.  Hope you didn't take it
that way.)

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"...always eager to extend a friendly claw"