Re: probelm upgrading x-window-system-core

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:03:46AM +0100, Adam Mercer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm tracking side and for the past month or so, aptitude and refused
> to upgrade the "x-window-system-core" package saying that it is
> broken, at first I thought that this was due to the ongoing change
> from xfree86 to xorg.  However sid has been on xorg for a while now
> and I am still getting the same error when trying to upgrade the
> "x-window-system-core" package
>
> skymoo:/home/ram# aptitude install x-window-system-core
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
>   libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev
>   libsmpeg-dev libvtk4-dev mayavi xlibmesa-glu xlibmesa-glu-dev
>   libglu1-xorg
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev
>   libsmpeg-dev libvtk4-dev mayavi xlibmesa-glu xlibmesa-glu-dev
>   x-window-system-core
> 1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 9 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/553kB of archives. After unpacking 13.1MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
>
> why does my system want to remove these packages? Is this a know
> problem or am I doing something stupid?

Most of the packages listed to be removed are "-dev" packages.  Do you
have the corresponding non "dev" packages?  Maybe you need to replace
the 1.2 versions with something newer?

You could use aptitude.  In interactive mode, it shows you what it wants
to install and remove, giving you a chance to change those selections.

--
BOFH excuse #188:

..disk or the processor is on fire.