Re: Severe problems after upgrading some packages

Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 02:58:06PM +0000, Nick de Graeve wrote:
>> I've ran in some serious problems when I installed/upgrade some
>> packages: upgrade of libc6 failed and now lots of programs won't start
>> anymore:
>>
>> nokeos@js002:~$  ls
>> ls: error while loading shared libraries: libacl.so.1: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Error 14
>
> It isn't clear what Debian version you're installing to.  The current
> libacl.so.1 is known to be broken -- if you had reportbug installed you
> would have been warned and presumably wouldn't have installed it.

It's actually not libacl, but libc.  The 2.3.5 changed something
related to having an executable stack (I don't quite know the details,
but searching Debian lists for recent posts on "executable stack"
should turn up many references).  However, the problem is only
triggered on older 2.4 Linux kernels (I believe 2.4.27 is not
affected, but 2.4.18 is) or if the kernel has the pax patch included.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju
Nothing beats testing admin scripts on a live system,