RE: Debian hangs at 5% on install ??

I can install Debian vanilla and Linux Mandrake 8.2, but not Mandrake above
8.2, i.e. 9 or 10.1 even Knoppix won't run.

With vanilla, i can't get mdadm to work because it says it needs ver 0.9 of
( can't remember ) but it's not in the kernel and i want it to run a pair of
( 4 drive ) IDE Raid 1's.

The system has

1 CD SCSI cd writer at id:0 	( 50pin cable ) - Terminated
1 Dat drive at id:1		( 50pin cable )
1 Dat drive at id:2		( 50pin cable )
1 Scsi 9g at ID:3			( 68pin cable ) - Terminated
1 Scsi 9g at ID4			( 68pin cable )

the card is at id:7

I've tried a different 50 pin cable and terminator and a different cd drive,
tried with everything but the cd drive disconnected.

I can't see it being hardware, because, as i said, i can install vanilla and
Linux mandrake 8.2

:o(