Re: How do I edit UTF-8 encoded files with Emacs?

On 8/9/05, René Seindal <rene@seindal.dk> wrote:

> Jim MacBaine wrote (09-08-2005 18:59):
> > How do I tell emacs that the file I'm editing is utf-8-encoded?
>
> http://linux.seindal.dk/item32.html

Unfortunately, this does not help. I put the lines, the author
suggests, to my .emacs. I still see Umlauts as two or more characters
in emacs.  Both in an utf-8 xterm and in X-Window-mode.

I'm running an utf-8 locale, which I hope is correct. At least mutt is
able to display all my mails (even some Chinese spam) correctly with
it:

jim@host:~$ env | grep ^L
LC_LANGUAGE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8