Re: [Bit OT]: Latex Gurus?

> Hi all,
> Just wanting to tap into some of the wide-ranging knowledge
> available on this list.

> A quick Q for a Latex document layout. I want a single
> column output, but on the right hand side I want a line
> that separates the \marginpar notes from the rest of the
> text. Like this....

>       Body Text Body Text Body Text |
>       Body Text Body Text Body Text |
>       Body Text Body Text Body Text | MarginPar
>       Body Text Body Text Body Text |

> I've googled like hell, but I'm not sure exactly what
> I'm looking for. I want it on every page, so a picture
> environment doesn't seem to be an option (but I could be
> wrong). I was thinking maybe an image placed behind the
> text with the line in the correct location, like a
> watermark, and that lead me to find the eso-pic package,
> but I couldn't get it to Compile when I used the
> \AddToPictureShipout command.

I am not a LaTeX guru, but does this do what you want?  It does use
the eso-pic package though.

Regards,

Jim Ottaway

\documentclass[a4paper,twoside]{article}
\usepackage{eso-pic}
\usepackage{calc}
\usepackage{ifthen}
\makeatletter
\AddToShipoutPicture{%
  %% \@tempdima: text area y origin
  %% \@tempdimb: x position of the line
  \setlength{\@tempdima}{\paperheight - 1in - \voffset - \topmargin
    - \headheight - \headsep - \textheight}
  \ifthenelse{\not\boolean{@twoside}\or\isodd{\thepage}}{%
    \setlength{\@tempdimb}{1in + \hoffset + \textwidth +
      \oddsidemargin + 0.5\marginparsep}}
  {\setlength{\@tempdimb}{\paperwidth - 1in - \hoffset - \textwidth -
      0.5\marginparsep - \oddsidemargin}}
  \setlength{\unitlength}{1pt}
  \put(\strip@pt\@tempdimb ,\strip@pt\@tempdima){\line(0,1){\strip@pt\textheight}}
}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
It is nothing but work, work, work.  I cannot easily buy a blank book
to write thoughts in; they are commonly ruled for dollars and cents.
An Irishman, seeing me making a minute in the fields, took it for
granted that I was calculating my wages.  If a man was tossed out of a
window when an infant, and so made a cripple for life, or scared out
of his wits by Indians, it is regretted chiefly because he was
incapacitated for---business!  I think that there is nothing, not even
crime, more opposed to poetry\marginpar{A margin par}, to philosophy,
ay, to life itself, than this incessant business.

If my wants should be much more increased, the labour required to
supply them would become a drudgery.  If I should sell both my
forenoons and afternoons to society, as most appear to do, I am sure
that for me there would be nothing left worth living for.  I trust
that I shall never thus sell my life for a mere mess of pottage.

There is no greater blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of
his life securing his living.

The rush to California, for instance, and the attitude, not merely of
merchants, but of philosophers and prophets, so called, in relation to
it, reflect the greatest\marginpar{Another margin par} disgrace on
mankind.  That so many are ready to live by luck, and so get the means
of commanding the labour of others less lucky, without contributing
any value to society! And that is called enterprise! I know of no more
startling development of the immorality of trade, and all the common
modes of getting a living.  The philosophy and poetry and religion of
such a mankind are not worth the dust of a puffball.  The hog that
gets his living by rooting, stirring up the soil, would be ashamed of
such company.

It makes God to be a moneyed gentleman who scatters a handful of
pennies in order to see mankind scramble for them.  The world's
raffle! What a comment, what a satire, on our institutions!

A grain of gold will gild a great surface, but not so much as a grain
of wisdom.

The gold-digger in the ravines of he mountains is as much a gambler as
his fellow in the saloons of San What difference does it make, whether
you shake dirt or shake dice?  If you win, society is the loser.  The
gold-digger is the enemy of the honest labourer, whatever checks and
compensations there may be.  It is not enough to tell me that you
worked hard to get your gold.  So does the devil work hard. The way of
transgressors may be hard in many The humblest observer who goes to
the mines sees and says that gold-digging is of the character of a
lottery; the gold thus obtained is not the same thing with the wages
of honest toil.  But, practically, he forgets what he has seen, for he
has seen only the fact, not the principle, and goes into trade
there---that is, buys a ticket in what commonly proves another
lottery, where the fact is not so obvious.

Shall the mind be a public arena, where the affairs of the street and
the gossip of the tea-table chiefly are discussed? Or shall it be a
quarter of heaven itself,---an hypethral temple, consecrated to the
service of the gods?  I find it so difficult to dispose of the few
facts which to me are significant that I hesitate to burden my
attention with those which are insignificant, which only a divine mind
could Such is, for the most part, the news in newspapers and
conversation.

If I am to be a thoroughfare, I prefer that it be of the
mountain-brooks, the Parnassian streams, and not the town-sewers.
There is inspiration, the gossip that comes to the ear of the
attentive mind from the courts of heaven.  there is the profane and
stale revelation of the bar-room and the police court.  The same ear
is fitted to hear both Only the character of the hearer determines to
which it shall be open, and to which closed.  I believe that the mind
can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial
things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality.  Our
very intellect shall be macadamized, as it were,---its foundation
broken into fragments for the wheels of travel to roll over; and if
you would know will make the most durable pavement, surpassing rolled
stones, spruce blocks, and asphaltum, you have only to look into some
of our minds which have been subjected to this treatment so long.

Read not the Times.\marginpar{A margin par on the next page} Read the
Eternities.

\end{document}