Re: How can I configure debian, to boot to a text mode login (new Debian user)

Hello Bob, Olle and David,

thanks a lot for your help!

On 07 August 2005 Bob Proulx wrote:

> By default in Debian all run levels are the same.  Having them
> different is not something that many Debian people want and so it is
> not the default.  (Most questions asking for it come from people who
> have used other systems where runlevels are used.  They have yet to
> realize how easy it is to install and remove software on Debian and so
> are still thinking in terms of those other systems.)

> But it is certainly possible to configure your system so that runlevel
> 3 does not start up a graphical login.  You can do this either of two
> ways.  Use one of the management programs sysvconfig, rcconf, or
> sysv-rc-conf.

>   apt-get install sysv-rc-conf

I will test this, when I have more time, but this one is
what I have wanted:

> Or just move the symlink yourself manually.  Your manual changes will
> be recognized and preserved on future upgrades.

>   cd /etc/rc3.d
>   mv S99kdm K99kdm
>   mv S99gdm K99gdm

I changed in /etc/rc2.d the symlinks to XS99gdm and XS99kdm and
now my system boots to command line. I can then even after I
have logged in as a normal user start the graphical login via
su -c "/etc/init.d/gdm start" or can use startx directly. In
addition if I set now the default runlevel in /etc/inittab
to 5 (which I didn't do normally, just for testing) I can
use init 5 to start the graphical login.

Also I have known before in theory how the SysV init process
is functioning, I now understand it really, how it is working.
Again, thanks a lot, I have learned a lot. My Debian system
will become more and more usable :-)

> But regardless of this I still recommend removing the graphical
> display manager if you are not using it.  Just call me a clean freak.

> Also Control-Alt-F1 will get you to the text console.  I frequently
> use that to use a text console when I want one.  Then Alt-F7 gets you
> back to the graphical environment.  This is very nice for switching
> back and forth on demand.

I knew that, but I wanted to boot to a text mode login, as I want
to install the Nvidia drivers, and they recommend to boot to text
login, if something goes wrong.

Peter
--
peter_sulzer doesn't like spam and this is my domain:
t-online.de