Request for info/help

Sorry if this reposts....not sure it got through the first time....

I am having a problem with a user and would like some clarification if I did correct or incorrectly. Honest answers appreciated.

I performed some work for a company on a Debian Linux system with the prompt on the system (no graphic frontends, etc) indicated it was a Debian 3.0 (Woody) built. The initial issue was a user outside of the company could not get an email sent to a user on the company's server. The company I was performing the work for is using Exim for the mail server, SMTP transactions are not logged.

Because of the above fact, I desired to move them to Postfix email. As the system was showing me Woody build, I started dselect using the repository for debian sarge stable build (as I have in the past installed Sarge release candidates from 8/04). Dselect indicated numberous upgrades available for the system (which the system needed regardless). I started the update process, and Perl immediately crashed. User data, email access from pop/smtp, passwords, etc, were not effected, but web mail access via neomail was, needless to say, broken. In doing a little research, I found a Debian 2.2 cd (labeled disk1), a Debian 3.0 cd (labeled disk1), and a Debian 3.1 cd (labeled disk1) laying near this system. What I am thinking is that while they may have upgraded enough of the Debian 2.2 for the prompt to indicate is was a Woody 3.0 system, there was still quite a bit of 2.2 (the perl is what I think was not upgraded), so that when the Perl 5.8.6 from the new stable build tried to install, the stuff on the system was so old that the install broke, and broke the perl that was on the system.

Question is - Are my assumptions correct? If anyone else has walked up to the box seeing the prompt I did would they have had any issue in trying the upgrade?
Just wondering,

Thanks...

Mark

begin:vcard