Re: Newbie - Old Hardware need OS & Web Browser

Trent M. Davenport wrote:
> First off, I know nothing about Linux.  I've installed it once or twice, ran
> the Linux Router Project back in 98 for a while, but haven't touched it
> since.

What you want to do sounds easy enough to me.  But if you have not
used GNU/Linux for a while then you should expect that you will need
to spend some time learning about the system and asking questions.

> I have some older hardware P 75 - P 200 and would like to use them to
> display a single web page using 800 x 600 resolution.  It's the community
> events web site that I've created at www.zone7.ca/events

Sounds like a kiosk system.  Google for linux kiosk and you will find
much information about building those.

> I also want to ensure the machine is locked down so only port 80 has
> Internet access as I'll be dropping these in on other people's
> networks throughout the town.

Port 80 is your outgoing port.  To lock down the box you are
concerned about incoming ports.  Those are two different and unrelated
sides of the network.

Install a firewall on the box.  Configure it as a pure client.  Since
this is a lightweight machine and you will be configuring several I
recommend the shorewall firewall package.  It uses text files for
configuration.  Although others often recommend fwbuilder which has a
GUI for configuration.

> Is there a straight-forward way to get Linux to do what I'm looking for, in
> this application?

Here are some documentation pointers.

  http://www.linux.com/howtos/Kiosk-HOWTO-1.shtml
  http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/kiosk/