Re: VCD's and linux

On Sunday 07 August 2005 20:36, Jon Roed wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone knew of a program out there for making
> VCD's.  I have heard of a couple of ways to do it, but they all
> seemed pretty complicated.  Is there something nice and simple that
> doesn't involve using a terminal ?

What's a "terminal" have to do with it?

I recently had the pleasure of attending the wedding of the girl next
door, whom I've watched grow for the last 16 years, and shot it with
my Sony Hi-8 digital handycam, one with a firewire port.

I made sure I had the latest stuff now in kernels newer than 2.6.10
IIRC, for the ieee1394 stuff.  I run bleeding edge kernels here
anyway, currently 2.6.13-rc6.

Then I found a program called 'kino' which can upload from the camera
to the HD over firewire, so that 22 minutes of video became around
8GB of files chopped into 2GB or less pieces and seemlessly spliced
back together on playback by kino.  Using kino's mark and cut
editing, I pulled the worst of my handheld shakes out of it.

Then I needed to find some of the export tools kino needs and install
them.  As this particular box is FC2, yum took care of the
dependencies there, and it Just Worked(TM).  Once that was done, it
took this XP-2800 athlon about an hour to 'export' the file(s) as a
one piece audio encapsulated .mpeg of about 335 megs, which I then
burned to cd-r with k3b.

It played fine in my Apex player that had been de-emasculated, so I
made 3 copies and gave one to the kids and each of their parents.  It
played just fine for everybody.  And here, I could not tell the
difference between playing it back directly from the camera, and
playing it from the cd in my dvd player, other than my snippage of a
second or 2's shakes here and there.  That handycam is for the money,
an amazing camera.

Next time I take a tripod, and possibly a boom microphone for better
audio.  That was very painfull to my 70 year old arms and hands to
hold still for that long in the rather awkward handheld grip that
camera imposes on you.  OTOH, the camera's own noise, as recorded by
its built in microphones (stereo too!, all the way to the vcd) was
quite unobtrusive, somewhat surprising this old broadcast engineer.

The moral of this detail-less story is that, yes Virginia, you *can*
do that with linux.  Quite nicely in fact.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)