upgrading to X.org server

Not so long ago, I upgraded to the X.org 6.8.2 packages in
unstable. The upgrade was very smooth and easy, and produced a working
configuration right away (creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the old
XF86Config-4 file). It looks like the X Strike Force has done a really
great job.

However, there were a couple of small adjustments that I had to make
by hand that I thought would be worth reporting here, in case others
have had similar issues.

1. I initially lost access to my TrueType fonts. This turned out to be
   because X.org no longer uses the xtt module (its functionality
   included instead in the freetype module). So when I commented out:

          #Load    "xtt"

   from the Modules section and instead:

           Load    "freetype"

   the problem was solved.

2. The X.org server no longer supports the speedo module or the
   associated fonts, so I was getting warning messages until I
   commented out the relevant lines in the Fonts section and in the
   Modules section. Very minor.

3. Most serious problem:

   (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

   The most visible symptom here was that I could no longer use
   Ctl-Alt-Fn to get back to the n-th virtual console from a running X
   session. The solution in this case was to make a link from:

     /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 to  /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg

   and also from:

     /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst to  /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.1st.

Jim